Inscape were this week appointed as main contractor to complete the renovation of No. 7 Blenheim Place in Edinburgh.
The property was built in 1824 and is an example of the work of William Henry Playfair, one of Scotlands leading 19th century architects. It sits at the junction of London Road and Leith Walk and is probably better known as the site of Dofos Pet Store than as an example of the great architects work.
However, a great example it is. The single storey elevation hides the fact that there are up to 5 storeys behind as the design made strategic use of a very steeply sloping site.
The buildings were kept deliberately low so as not to obscure views of Calton Hill beyond and they were to form a significant part of a new Eastern New Town intended to attract a better class of resident to this part of the city.
A view shared by clients Phoebe Grigor and Seamus McGarvey and their daughter Stella who began the renovation work towards the end of last year.
We look forward to completing the scheme with project architect David Stronge.